MSO10116 - Possible post-medieval peat cutting baulk northwest of The Mound (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 880 431. Continuing the line of the southwest side of The Mound (MSO7339) in a northwesterly direction, is a low broad bank about 0.3 metres high. This feature continues down the slope for approximately 80 metres until it is cut across by a footpath the line of which it then follows in a northerly direction. The rutting of the path eventually makes the bank impossible to follow after about 20 metres.  It is questionable as to whether the bank actually adjoins MSO7339 but from SS 8806 4311, 10 metres distant, to SS 8798 4318, a bank 3 to 4 metres wide is traceable for 100 metres, mostly about 0.1 metres high. There is then a gap of 8 metres when it re-appears in a very poor, ragged state, aligned to the north for 35 metres, generally 4.5 metres wide and 0.1 metre high. Peat cutting occurs on both sides of these banks and they may simply be residual balks between tyes, probably of late date and of no archaeological significance.  A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 126 (1982), 85 (R McDonnell).
- <2> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 July 1987.
- <3> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 880 431 (96m by 68m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36024 (Original Monarch entry: 36024 (The Mound))
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO7339
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE22
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36024
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13980
Record last edited
Mar 4 2020 4:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.