MMO939 - Trackways on Lype Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two highly braided trackways are clearly visible running across Lype Hill on vertical aerial photographs. The trackways run east to west and north-east to south-west and cross each other in the vicinity of the old iron workings described in record SS 93 NW 121 and may be contemporary with them. A third trackway is visible running parallel to, and 250m to the south of, the east-west trackway. [1-3] It is not clear whether any of the above refer to the trackway that forms the Herepath (MSO11642). 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 0143-45 23-JAN-1947.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 0143 27-APR-1964.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SCC CS969 9695 05-NOV-1981.
- <4> SMO7521 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Dove 31/01/2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9427 3717 (1655m by 915m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132552 (Original Monarch entry: 1132552)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9307
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW122
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132552
Record last edited
Jan 31 2013 1:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.