MMO921 - Undated cropmark enclosures southeast of Barlynch Priory (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
A series of scarps and banks centred at SS 9298 2886, visible on aerial photographs, may represent the remains of post-medieval boundaries and enclosures. A number of amorphous mounds could be building platforms. A square mark on oblique photographs may represent the remains of a building and is centred at SS 9297 2888. A linear ditch extends from west of these features towards the River Exe. These features are not marked on the Ordnance Survey 1891 map but could be related to a quarry marked on the map just to the south. The features are situated to the south of the Augustinian Priory of St Nicholas at Barlynch Farm (described in MSO8840) but there is no evidence of a connection. [1-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  A potential dovecote associated with Barlynch Priory is recorded in the southern section of these earthworks (see MEM22036) and may or may not be associated with them. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/860 3046-7 (2 September 1952).
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . CUCAP (ANN75-6) (29 April 1966).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1891.
- <4> SMO6669 Collection: Winton, H.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS92NW.
- <5>XY SMO7522 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 92 NW. AF1131882. [Mapped feature: #35235 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1132534, Extant 11 April 2022.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 11 April 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9298 2886 (71m by 58m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132534 (Pastscape entry: 1132534)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10069
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8983
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW78
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1132534
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13792
Record last edited
Apr 11 2022 4:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.