MMO921 - Cropmark enclosures southeast of Barlynch Priory (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
A series of scarps and banks centred at SS 9298 2886, visible on aerial photographs, may represent the remains of Post Medieval boundaries and enclosures. A number of amorphous mounds could be building platforms. A square mark on oblique photographs may represent the remains of a building and is centred at SS 9297 2888. A linear ditch extends from west of these features towards the River Exe. These features are not marked on the OS 1891 map but could be related to a quarry marked on the map just to the south. The features are situated to the south of the Augustinian Priory of St Nicholas at Barlynch Farm (described in SS 92 NW 6) but there is no evidence of a connection. [1-2, 3-4]
- --- SMO6669 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS92NW.
- --- SMO7522 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 92 NW. AF1131882.
- --- SSO639 Map: SS92NW. 78.
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/860 3046-7 02-SEP-1952.
- <2> SSO368 Aerial photograph: 02-SEP-1952. RAF 540/860 3046-7 02-SEP-1952.
- <3> SMO7105 Aerial photograph: WINTON, HLW. Aerial photograph. CUCAP (ANN75-6) 29-APR-1966.
- <4> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . CUCAP (ANN75-6) 29-APR-1966.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9298 2886 (71m by 58m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132534 (Pastscape entry: 1132534)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10069
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8983
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW78
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132534
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13792
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.