MMO889 - Weekfield Trial Shaft, Exton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Probable location of Weekfield trail shaft, clearly visible at SS 9480 3555 on vertical aerial photographs and marked as a tip (disused) on the 1980 1:10,000 Ordnance Survey map of the area. Three other extractive pits are also visible on vertical photographs at SS 9465 3532 and SS 9490 3550. [1-4] The site is visible as a small spoil heap adjacent to the filled shaft.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 2153 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. p 40.
- <3> SEM7222 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. 1:10000 Map, 1980. 1:10000.
- <4> SMO7521 Archive: Dyer, C.A.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <5> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. 17.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1132358, Extant 4 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9478 3556 (63m by 33m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132358 (Original Monarch entry: 1132358)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7203
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW94
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1132358
Record last edited
May 4 2022 10:07AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.