MMO751 - Linear ditches south of Blagdon Barn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two linear ditches, running southward from Blagdon Barn, are visible as earthworks on vertical air photographs, centred at SS 9805 3352. These features are likely to be post medieval field gutters, possibly relating to a larger catch meadow irrigation system.  The earthworks form part of the site of a minor country house that was built here in the late 18th century. It was described in 1792 as `a very neat house and gardens in this parish belong to Thomas Stawel, esq'. The site of the house is at SS 9859 3348 on the floodplain of the river Haddeo. Stretching down the valley from the house were a series of lakes and ponds culminating in a mock castle (actually a pair of workers cottages constructed to look like drum towers). The house was demolished in the 1820s.  The site was visited in March 2013. The former ditches are visible as slight linear terraces on the hillslope in permanent pasture. It is not clear how and where they were fed by the stream, the link not apparent. This was either destroyed by the construction of Blagdon Barn or if a contemporary water meadow system, it possibly had the advantage of picking up farmyard manure from Blagdon Barn to fertilise the fields. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 0284 27-APR-1964.
- <2> SMO7520 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <3> SEM6 Report: Wilson-North, R.. 1998. An 18th Century House and Park at Withiel Florey.
- <4> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. S Blaylock, 13 March 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9811 3343 (268m by 456m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1121141 (Original Monarch entry: 1121141)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8945
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE78
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1121141
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.