MMO750 - Post-medieval quarry northeast of Ford Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An extractive pit, probably of Post Medieval date, is visible as earthworks on vertical air photographs. It is centred at SS 9773 3445.  The site is marked as a quarry on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map  and the earthwork is recorded on the 2nd Edition . The site was visited in March 2013. The quarried area is still visible as a cutting into the hillslope, although overgrown with gorse, with one area being used as a sheltered stock feeding area. The quarrying probably represents local activity for local building use. There may be further quarrying obscured by high gorse. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3148-49 23-JAN-1947.
- <2> SMO7520 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. S Blaylock, 13 March 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9773 3445 (33m by 23m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1121136 (Original Monarch entry: 1121136)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8944
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE77
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1121136
Record last edited
Jul 25 2018 2:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.