MMO749 - Medieval or post-medieval earthworks surrounding Ford Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries are visible as earthworks on vertical air photographs, in fields surrounding Ford Farm. A field of ridge and furrow is visible at SS 9748 3440.  The site was visited in March 2013. It is mapped as three separate areas in the HER. Nothing is visible in the field of the eastern boundary marked in the HER and it has probably been ploughed out. The western area, west of Ford Farm was not visited as part of this survey, although from a distance it looked like improved pasture. The area of the site shown on the west side of the valley to the south of Ford Farm contains two linear earthwork contour features which may be the remnants of a catch water meadow system. On the eastern side of this valley there is an earthwork bank, probably a former field boundary running north-south. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3149-50 23-JAN-1947.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL/77037 223 26-NOV-1977.
- <3> SMO7520 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <4> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. S Blaylock, 13 March 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9765 3418 (512m by 823m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1121129 (Original Monarch entry: 1121129)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8943
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE76
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1121129
Record last edited
Jul 25 2018 2:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.