MMO692 - Medieval field system at Selworthy Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 9260 4749. A small group of banks and ditches at the head of Selworthy Combe are possibly leats and water meadows (catch meadows). [1,2] A possible medieval field system is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. The field system is located on the northern slopes of Selworthy Combe and centred at SS 9240 4749. The field system is defined by linear field banks which cover an area that measures 530 metres by 430 metres. At the south of the field system (SS 9242 4730) are three blocks of narrow ridge and furrow visible as earthworks. The field banks were previously interpreted as a watermeadow. [3,4] The area transcribed by the RCZA  is much larger than that transcribed by McDonnell . It is possible that these are two separate features. 
- <1> SSO282 Aerial photograph: July 1946. LHL 106G.UK.1655. 3014.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9247B.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70066 026-027 (3 May 1970).
- <4>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #35155 ]
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 5 March 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9239 4750 (505m by 680m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119224 (Original Monarch entry: 1119224)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11602
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8077
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW54
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119224
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34008
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.