MMO657 - Post-medieval field system at Chalk Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8145 Disused field banks forming rectangular and subrectangular fields. [1,2,8,9,10] SS 819 455 A field system of predominantly rectangular and subrectangular fields formed by turf covered stoney banks about 2 to 3 metres wide and about 0.5 metres average height. It covers an area of some 20 hectares or more on the fairly stepp northeast and southwest slopes of Chalk Water between the 310 metres and 360 metres contours. It appears to be post medieval and its curvilinear form suggests it may predate the main period of more regular early 19th Century enclosure.  A large number of disused field boundaries are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. Centred at SS 8173 4570, the banks forms rectangular, sub rectangular and irregular fields on the northeast and southwest slopes of Mill Hill and cover an area measuring approximately 1100 metres by 869 metres, which equates to 35.7 hectares. The irregular structure of the fields and boundaries suggest a "piecemeal" pattern of enclosure, with each field enclosed one by one as and when it was required rather than as a group. This pattern of enclosure tends to be associated with early enclosure attempts, and suggests that these field predate the more regular 19th Century enclosure patterns seen elsewhere on Exmoor. The boundaries are not shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, suggesting that the enclosure were abandoned by the time it was published. [4-6]
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography.
- <2> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8145, 8245.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3088 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS 79013 202 (17 April 1979).
- <6> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890.
- <7>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #40520 ]
- <8> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4064.
- <9> SSO275 Aerial photograph: April 1972. HSL.UK.72-49 Run 81. 0025.
- <10> SSO202 Aerial photograph: May 1977. ENP MAM IRFC. 13.047.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8189 4566 (1158m by 997m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1107120 (Original Monarch entry: 1107120)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11505
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7761
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW33
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1107120
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33882
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 4:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.