MMO1241 - Post-medieval field system at Inner Alscott (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a field system and associated clearance cairns lie at the head of Outer Alscott Combe. The remians comprise some short lenghts of field banks, which are stony and have stones heaped on them in places. The field system does not seem to have been completed. Three clearance cairns lie just to the east, at SS 8285 4510; SS 8287 4510; SS 8292 4511. These were previously recorded as cairns or natural features under SS 84 SW 6 with erroneous grid references. A further clearance cairn lies within the area of field system at SS 8284 4502. The remains appear to represent an abandoned attempt at enclosure: the remains lie at around 390m. The boundaries are not depicted on the 1st edition OS map of 1890, and probably date from the post-medieval period. The remains were surveyed using differential GPS as part of the EH survey of Mill Hill for the ENPA. [1,2] Several field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks between Inner Alscott Combe and Outer Alscott Combe. The earthworks are centred at SS 8282 4511, and covers an area measuring 610 metres by 580 metres, which equates to approximately 20.3 hectares. The boundaries appear unfinished, and may have been abandoned soon after construction began. They are not shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and had probably been abandoned by this point. The boundaries are more regular than those to the north (see MMO657) but may have been constructed at approximately the same time, with both field systems dating to the post medieval period. [3-5]
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. 2003 EH Field Investigation.
- <2> SMO7517 Archive: Riley, H. 2003. Mill Hill, Oare, Somerset. AF00034.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3088 11-JUL-1946.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS 79013 202 17-APR-1979.
- <5> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890.
- <6> SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8231 4528 (623m by 469m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1371692 (Original Monarch entry: 1371692)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW64
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1371692
Record last edited
Jul 18 2013 4:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.