MMO609 - World War Two weapons pit west of Hill Road (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A possible gun position near Moor Wood, at SS 95703 47419, was recorded as part of the RCHME survey of the ENPA holding on North Hill. Full details in survey report.  SS 9531 4741 A Second World War weapons pit, visible as an earthwork, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. Located W of Hill Road on Minehead's North Hill, the subcircular earthwork pit was sited opposite the access road to the wartime tank marshalling area and tank park at the west end of Moor Wood. The subcircular weapons pit is sited within a larger, subcircular, cleared terrace 33 metres by 35 metres, which has been cut into the SW facing hillside overlooking Wood Combe. The spoil from this terracing may be part of the earthwork mound visible 65 metres west-south-west (MMO608). The irregularly shaped weapon pit is about 5 metres by 7 metres and is surrounded by a horseshoe shaped earthwork bank about 3.5 metres wide, presumably constructed from the spoil from the pit. The overgrown feature was still visible in 2001. [2-4]
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3007-3008 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4004-4005 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9547/9 (21106/05) (9 February 2001).
- <5> SMO7543 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NE. MD000134.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9531 4741 (42m by 39m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1101271 (Original Monarch entry: 1101271)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12467
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7623
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE59
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1101271
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35668
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.