MMO592 - Post-medieval water meadow at Higher Week Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post medieval water meadow system at Higher Week Farm noted from aerial photographs of 1947. [1,2] The water meadow described above is fairly extensive, lying to either side of Week Lane and stretching from Week Cottages to Orchard Cottages. The aerial photographs suggest that there may be two phases of drainage features present, each on slightly different alignments to each other. [3-5] The features may have actually related to two farmsteads, Higher Week and Lower Wick, the latter of which is shown on the Tithe Map to the west of Week Cottages. 
- <1> SEM6918 Report: Francis, P.T.H.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the "Catch Meadow" Irrigation Systems Found in the Exmoor Region of West Somerset. 40.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3158 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3158 (23 January 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4032 (19 May 1947).
- <5> SMO7523 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
- <6> SSO712 Map: 1840. Withycombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9180 3318 (808m by 509m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095113 (Original Monarch entry)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11891
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8593
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW35
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095113
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34469
Record last edited
Dec 6 2016 1:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.