MMO551 - Deserted farm of Higher Week, Exton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- FARMSTEAD (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD? (Unclassified))
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- PADDOCK (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- TRACKWAY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- None recorded
The deserted farm of Higher Week is possibly referred to in the lay subsidy of 1327 by the names Godman atte Wyk and Roger atte Wyk. The tithe map of 1840 noted the settlement of Higher Week (linhay and 79 acres) but the area has now been cleared of remains or field boundaries. A slight hollow near a spring with a few old trees may indicate the site. [1-4] Field boundaries, paddocks, enclosures, ridge and furrow and trackways associated with the farm are clearly visible on vertical aerial photographs taken in 1947 and 1981. [5-6]
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset County Council SMR 29 Sep 1986.
- <2> SSO1039 Monograph: Dickenson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. Somerset Record Society. Series 3. 178-9.
- <3> SSO743 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the 1327 lay subsidy. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. p93.
- <4> SSO797 Article in serial: Aston, M and Murles, B.J. 1978. Somerset Archaeology 1977. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 122. p138-9.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 2153-4 23-JAN-1947.
- <6> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SCC 969 9697-8 05-NOV-1981.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9471 3506 (613m by 458m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089107 (Original Monarch entry: 1089107)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11303
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7174
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW14
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089107
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33645
Record last edited
Dec 14 2012 10:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.