MMO3790 - Medieval strip fields northeast of Challacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The fragmentary remains of a system of medieval strip fields extend, to the north of North Lane, between The Black Venus Inn, Twitchen Gate and Old Close Copse to the northeast of Challacombe. The fields are defined by curving parallel lynchets and are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs but some may have been levelled. Only parts of what was probably a continuous system of fields survive in three areas. The surviving remains are centred at SS 6959 4135. A concentration of lynchets extend over an area to the northeast of the Black Venus Inn, measuring 390 metres by 375 metres and these are centred at SS 6956 4123. Another concentration extends east of Old Close copse over an area measuring up to 215 metres by 100 metres, centred at SS 6974 4150. A single lynchet is centred at SS 6992 4150. The relict fields were probably part of an infield-outfield system where the outfield was usually an area of poorer grassland or moorland, and the infield was an area of intensly cultivated strip fields. The strip lynchets form part of an extensive system of lynchets around the settlements and farms in Challacombe parish (see MMO1215). [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <2> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Challacombe, West Devon, 20 December 1999.
- <3>XY SMO7526 Archive: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME: Challacombe Project, Devon. AF1301145. [Mapped features: #34738 ; #34739 ; #34740 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1505761, Extant 15 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6966 4135 (579m by 628m) (3 map features)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505761 (Pastscape entry: 1505761)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE156
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1505761
Record last edited
Nov 15 2021 4:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.