MMO3789 - Medieval field system east of Challacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a system of medieval strip fields extend between North Lane and Hammerland Pen to the east of Challacombe. The fields are defined by curving parallel lynchets and are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs but some may have been levelled. The relict fields were probably part of an infield-outfield system where the outfield was usually an area of poorer grassland or moorland, and the infield was an area of intensly cultivated strip fields. The fields extend over an area measuring up to 780 metres north to south by 855 metres east to west The strip lynchets form part of an extensive system of lynchets around the settlements and farms in Challacombe parish (see MMO1215). The field system is centred at SS 6963 4067 and extends over an area bounded by the following grid references: SS 6952 4104, SS 7003 4107, SS 7008 4070, SS 7003 4037, SS 6944 4031, SS 6925 4053, SS 6951 4073, SS 6938 4091. [1-3]
- <1> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Challacombe, West Exmoor, 20 December 1999.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <3>XY SMO7526 Archive: RCHME: Challacombe Project, Devon. AF1301145. [Mapped feature: #34737 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6966 4069 (835m by 776m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505758 (Pastscape entry: 1505758)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE155
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1505758
Record last edited
May 1 2019 11:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.