MMO3787 - Medieval field system southeast of Barton Gate (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The fragmentary remains of a medieval strip field system are visible as earthworks (although some may have been levelled), on aerial photographs, to the west and southwest of Bickfont House, to the southeast of Barton Gate. The fields are defined by parallel lynchets which extend east to west or north to south and they are centred at SS 6912 4102. There is a concentration of lynchets to the south of the road, Bickfont Hill. A single lynchet to the south of these, at SS 6903 4087, suggests that only part of the system of strip fields is visible. An east to west boundary on the southeastern edge of the earthworks, to the west of Owls Roost , at SS 6918 4097, appears to represent a different phase and could be the remains of a different kind of field system, or could be an old property or croft boundary. The strip fields are similar to those found around the villages and farms in Challacombe parish (see MMO1215). [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Challacombe, West Exmoor, 20 December 1999.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P 98-99; Fig. 4.13.
- <3>XY SMO7526 Archive: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME: Challacombe Project, Devon. AF1301145. [Mapped features: #34734 ; #47711 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1505688, Extant 15 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6909 4095 (313m by 326m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505688 (Pastscape entry: 1505688)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE153
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1505688
Record last edited
Nov 15 2021 3:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.