MMO3786 - Medieval strip field system with possible deserted settlement at North Barton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The fragmentary remains of a medieval strip field system and possible deserted settlement are visible as earthworks (although some have been levelled) on aerial photographs around North Barton. Parallel lynchets extend north to south, to the east and west of the current buildings at North Barton. These cover an area measuirng 360 metres east to west by 110 metres north to south and are centred at SS 6803 4136 and SS 6822 4133. To the south of these there is a possible toft, or small square enclosure and possible former property boundaries. These are centred at SS 6820 4123. Extending westwards from here there are further remains of possible fields. These have obviously been truncated on their southern side and only the upper parts of the fields can be seen on the available aerial photographs. These extend over an area measuring 525 metres east to west by 70 metres north to south between SS 6809 4127 and SS 6753 4130. These have an unusual appearance for this area and appear to comprise an east to west headland from which boundaries extend southwards. This is in contrast to the extensive parallel lynchets of the medieval strip fields found around the villages and farms in Challacombe parish (MMO1215). [1-3] The Tithe Map for Challacombe shows the earlier field pattern in this area respecting the RCHME aerial photograph transcription .  The field pattern had been rearranged by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. 
- <1> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Challacombe, West Exmoor, 20 December 1998.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. 98-99.
- <3> SMO7526 Archive: RCHME: Challacombe Project, Devon. AF1301145.
- <4> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6795 4128 (846m by 284m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505684 (Original Monarch entry: 1505684)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE152
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1505684
Record last edited
May 1 2019 11:31AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.