MMO3591 - Post-medieval leat west of Combe Sydenham (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A substantial post medieval leat is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork west of Combe Sydenham, Stogumber. Beginning at approximately ST 7044 3636, the leat follows the contours of the east facing slope for some 795 metres, fading from view at approximately ST 0721 3712. It lies close to a former corn mill (MSO8186) and was probably related to industrial activity here. It is depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1888, and part of the leat is still depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1:10000 map of 2004. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3134-35 23-JAN-1947.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10000 2004.
- <4> SMO7561 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: ST 03 NE. MD002178.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0733 3673 (262m by 775m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||STOGUMBER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1497676 (Original Monarch entry: 1497676)
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NE100
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1497676
Record last edited
Oct 26 2015 11:49AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.