MMO343 - Possible prehistoric enclosure on Barham Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 7025 4592. A lush marked ditch cut by modern hedge seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs on Barham Hill. Thought to indicate a sub-circular enclosure. [1,2] SS 7026 4592. In a well ploughed pasture field on the gentle western slopes of Barham Hill about 290 metres above Ordnance Datum are the remains of an ill defined oval platform. The eastern uphill side is defined by a curving scarp about 0.5 metres high cut back into the slope and there is an apron scarp of similar height around the lower western side. Due to the ploughing the features are indistinct and no acurate measurements are obtainable however it appears to have been approximately 34 metres north to south by 28 metres internally. There is no evidence of a ditch or bank or any vegetation marks. The platform is bisected east to west by a modern field wall which has been partly robbed to the west. This is the site seen by McDonnell and is possibly the remains of a prehistoric enclosure. Surveyed at 1:2500. [3,4] Following examination of all available aerial photographs for this area as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme survey, it is the opinion of this authority that the feature recorded here is probably of non-archaeological origin. Specifically, the impression of an enclosure was probably caused by a combination of variations in surface topography and vegetation or fungus rings. [5,6]
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7045D.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980, 3057 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 June 1994.
- <4> SMO4872 Survey: Lynton and Lynmouth, enclosure at SS 74 NW 44/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Paper. Pen and Ink.
- <5> SMO7038 Unassigned: Hegarty, C.. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. Exmoor NMP Survey, 5 February 2008.
- <6> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7024 4592 (44m by 40m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926132 (Original Monarch entry: 926132)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17882
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/47
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11699
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20496
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW44
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926132
Record last edited
Mar 24 2018 10:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.