MMO331 - Post-medieval stone quarrying and/or iron mining remains on Kentisbury Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Various quarries are depicted by  on Kentisbury Down. Concentrations occur around SS 6420 4325, SS 6375 4325 and SS 6425 4375. [1-4] The features recorded are stone quarries, which appear to predate the enclosure of Kentisbury Down in the mid 19th Century. [5-7] A large number of stone quarries are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of Kentisbury Down. They are depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1891 and annotated as "old quarries" suggesting they were out of use at the time of publication. In many places the quarries are overlain by extant field boundaries, most of which date to the enclosure of Kentisbury Down in the mid 19th Century. They most likely date to the post-medieval period, but their precise date is uncertain. [8,9] Claughton describes an unnamed mine with iron trial pits on north side of Kentisbury Down adjacent to the road, probably dating from the 1870s (also see MDE21588). These features (mapped at SS 6426 4376) may be part of the iron trial pits that Claughton described or, alternatively, quarrying remains as described above.  The quarries centred at SS 6421 4323, SS 6425 4377 and SS 6434 4371 are also depicted on the six inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map and on the six inch 1963 map. [11,12]
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6443C.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4096 (April 1947).
- <3> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM 2711 (June 1978).
- <4> SEM8548 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1848. Kentisbury Down Enclosure Award. Unknown.
- <5> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment. Tithe Map & Apportionment for Kentisbury Parish 1840.
- <6> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation 11-FEB-1993 WR Wilson-North..
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4239-41 (13 May 1946).
- <9> SMO7563 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SW. MD002180.
- <10> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 57.
- <11> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6SW.
- <12> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6423 4346 (273m by 683m) (Aerial Survey)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=924999 (Pastscape entry: 924999)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31437
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31438
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31545
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31546
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31548
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31557
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 51302
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/121
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/123
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/124
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/165
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11651
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20611
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20612
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20614
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21506
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW36
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 924999
Record last edited
Apr 30 2019 4:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.