MDE20617 - Post-medieval quarries on Kentisbury Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Old Quarries" shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and on the 1963 6 inch map. [1-3] Quarry for stone and gravel described in 1848 Kentisbury Down Enclosure Award and map. For use in repairing new enclosure roads. Located at SS 6380 4340. [4,5] The quarries have been partially transcribed by McDonnell from aerial photographs. [6-8] One of the larger quarried areas is shown as rough ground on modern MasterMapping, at SS 6387 4318.  Various quarries are depicted on Kentisbury Down, concentrations occurring around SS 6420 4325, SS 6375 4325 and SS 6425 4375. (See also MMO331). The features recorded are stone quarries, which appear to predate the enclosure of Kentisbury Down in the mid 19th Century. [8, 10-11]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SEM8548 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1848. Kentisbury Down Enclosure Award. Unknown.
- <5> SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays.
- <6>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6343B. [Mapped features: #44634 ; #44635 ; #44636 ; #44637 ]
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3098 (April 1947).
- <8> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 2711 (June 1978).
- <9> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <10> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <11> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 February 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6376 4322 (327m by 117m)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31557
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 51302
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/115
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/165
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11651
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21506
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW36
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 924999
Record last edited
Apr 30 2019 4:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.