MMO3305 - 19th Century water meadow south of Draydon Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A water meadow of probable 19th century date is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onward as earthworks centred on circa SS 8951 2982 to the south of Draydon Farm. Such water meadows, known as catchwork, catch-meadow or field gutter systems, are usually found on combe or hill slopes and are designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream. The water is carried along the valley sides via one or more channels or gutters and when irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow from gutter to gutter, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of March and April. The visible gutters cover an area of around 3 hectares on relatively gentle combe-slopes to the south of the farm, spaced on average between 15 and 30 metres apart for each 5 metre drop in elevation. It is probable that the gutters were supplied by a pond to the south of the farm. The gutters remain visible on aerial photographs of 1995 but their condition after this point is not known. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1944 1163-4 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95024 028-9 (12 March 1995).
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4> SMO7583 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 82 NE. MD002200.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8951 2978 (300m by 151m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1493732 (Pastscape entry: 1493732)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NE62
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1493732
Record last edited
Feb 22 2016 1:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.