MMO329 - Hand's Shaft and footway shaft, Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 734 328. Hand's Shaft, Bampfylde Mine. Hand's Shaft and its associated footway shaft were the entrances to a series of workings on the North Lode below the 20 fathom level. The deepest is shown on an 1868 Inventory at 43 fathoms (258 feet) below the surface, but Hand's Shaft only went directly to 36 fathoms (216 feet) and the footway shaft only went to 20 fathoms directly, before continuing to 36 fathoms by a further shaft 3 fathoms to the west. Both shafts have been filled but are still visible due to spoil heaps nearby. [1,2] The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows that the site has been infilled.  The site of a small curvilinear depression shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition maps on the eastern side of the field boundary. [3,4] A disused shaft head at SS 7338 3278 is indicated by spoil mounds 1.3 metres high adjacent to a field boundary. The precise position of the shaft is marked by a slight hollow 0.4 metres deep and 1.3 metres in diameter. [5,6] The spoil heap is clearly visible on aerial photographs as described above, and a slight hollow, possibly the remains of a shaft can also be seen on the western side of the mound. It is depicted but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was not in use when the map was published in 1890. The feature lies approximately 200 metres southeast of shafts associated with Bampfylde Mine, as may be associated with activity here. [7-9]
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 225, 233-5.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888 (published 1890).
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 April 1993.
- <6> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3442-43 (15 April 1946).
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3380-81 (11 April 1947).
- <9> SMO7577 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SW. MD002194.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7339 3277 (40m by 46m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=917543 (Pastscape entry: 917543)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46849
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/7
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11486
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21409
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW23
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 917543
Record last edited
Apr 15 2019 4:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.