MMO3270 - Post-medieval water meadow north of Higher Fyldon Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks north of Higher Fyldon Farm, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7410 3416, the gutters curve northwest to southeast, apparently drawing water from the nearby stream. They cover an area of approximately 2 hectares. . This system does not appear to be connected to the farmyard, suggesting that this was a detached system which only distributed water to the fields and not liquid manure or other fertilisers. Catchwater meadows used a series of approximately parallel gutters to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to prevent freezing in winter and encourage early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. Most catchwater meadows are believed to date to the post-medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73086 712-13 (17 April 1973).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7577 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SW. MD002194. [Mapped feature: #33124 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1493594, Extant 1 December 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7411 3420 (203m by 267m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1493594 (Pastscape entry: 1493594)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW38
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1493594
Record last edited
Dec 1 2021 3:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.