MMO3224 - Medieval or post-medieval extractive pit southeast of Holywell Reservoir (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A small circular depression is visible on aerial photographs east of Holywell Reservoir, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7633 3076, the quarry is visible as two small circular depressions, measuring 8 and 19 metres respectively. It is not depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned some time prior to publication in 1891. It most likely dates to the post medieval period, although it may also be medieval in origin. There is no indication as to what was extracted here, but there are several adits and trial pits in the area related to the New Florence Iron Mine. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3278-79 (15 April 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1891.
- <3>XY SMO7578 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195. [Mapped feature: #47560 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1482802, Extant 29 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7633 3077 (35m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492802 (Pastscape entry: 1492802)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE83
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1492802
Record last edited
Oct 11 2021 12:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.