MMO3220 - Medieval hollow way or trackway northwest of Western Ball (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible medieval hollow way or track is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork in fields north-west of Western Ball, Twitchen. Beginning at approximately SS 7791 3185 the track runs roughly north-south for some 530 metres, fading from view at approximately SS 7761 3141. It is cut in places by field boundaries, but fades before the modern road, and may have connected with the road. It is not depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1891, suggesting it was out of use by this time. [1-3] This is part of the hollow or trackway complex noted by McDonnell in the 1980s (see MDE20479). [4,5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 248-49 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1891.
- <3> SMO7578 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195.
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7731a.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/12/045 (May 1977).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7779 3168 (396m by 621m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492783 (Pastscape entry: 1492783)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE79
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1492783
Record last edited
Jun 20 2018 4:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.