MMO3181 - Post-medieval field boundaries on Hawkridge Plain (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Two linear gulleys can be seen on aerial photographs as earthworks on the south facing slopes above the Danes Brook, Withypool and Hawkridge Parish. Centred on circa SS 8251 3186 and SS 8279 3188, the roughly parallel gullies are both over 200 metres long cross the contours between elevations of about 295 to 335 metres above Ordnance Datum. The gullies may have formed alongside former field boundary banks of post-medieval date, before eroding away the earthworks themselves. The curvilinear form of the gullies may support an interpretation of a precursor in the form of medieval strip fields. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR CPE/UK/2082 (F20) 3041-2 (19 May 1947).
- <2>XY SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197. [Mapped feature: #32681 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1492008, Extant 27 April 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8265 3186 (353m by 288m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492008 (Pastscape entry: 1492008)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW103
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1492008
Record last edited
May 3 2021 10:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.