MMO3142 - Post-medieval routeways crossing The Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Trackways or packhorse routes of probable post-medieval date are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs on The Allotment, Winsford parish, centred on circa SS 8908 3305. They are visible as numerous interweaving narrow gulleys, crossing The Allotment in a north to south direction for approximately 860 metres between Mounsey Hill Gate and Spire Cross. The trackways are probably precursors to the current road which follows a course parallel to the trackways. They are cut in two places by later quarries, possibly dug for road-building material. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2332 0100-1 (26 July 1963).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 4263-4 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8908 3305 (235m by 889m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1490707 (Pastscape entry: 1490707)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE95
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1490707
Record last edited
Aug 31 2017 1:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.