MMO3123 - Medieval or post-medieval strip fields east of Hawkridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Evidence for former strip field cultivation can be seen on aerial photographs, as almost completely levelled earthworks to the east of Hawkridge. Centred on circa SS 8651 3058, the remains of former field boundaries are visible as low earthwork banks, dividing the current field into around 10 roughly parallel strip fields, between 22 and 28 metres wide. The strips are adjacent to Row Lane and take advantage of one of the few relatively level areas on Hawridge Ridge. The remains are much more fragmentary towards the west of the field, but in total the visible remains cover an area of over 3 hectares, and it is probable that further remains are yet to be identified. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL/76068 047 (4 August 1976).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/890 (F20) 4031-2 (3 October 1952).
- <3>XY SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198. [Mapped feature: #32724 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8650 3057 (242m by 206m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1490493 (Pastscape entry: 1490493)
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1490493
Record last edited
Apr 11 2021 9:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.