MMO3028 - Possible prehistoric oval enclosure at Bradymoor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a possible bank defined enclosure of uncertain date can be seen on aerial photographs as low earthworks on Withypool Common at circa SS 8091 3651. The enclosure is roughly circular or oval in shape, up to roughly 36 metres in diameter with an internal area of circa 600 square metres. A possible entrance, outwork or annexe is visible on its western side. The date of the earthwork is unclear, but it appears to be overlain by narrow ridge and furrow of probable post-medieval date. It is approximately 100 metres to the south of a square earthwork enclosure of possible medieval date, with which it may be contemporary. [1-3] The site was subject to resistivity and magnetometry survey in 2013. The probable prehistoric enclosure was difficult to see in the earth resistance data but several possible features were interpreted. The earthworks of the enclosure appeared to have been heavily truncated and its full expression was not shown either topographically or through the resistance data. The latter shows some elements of a ditch and bank but a continuous circuit wasn't apparent. The features thought to be present included the enclosure ditch and bank, a possible roundhouse platform and undefined anomalies of possible archaeological origin (having high resistance) in close proximity. The gradiometer survey did little to define the form of the enclosure but did show a vague circular anomaly, possibly indicating the presence of ditches that may be associated with one or more roundhouses. It was not clear from the results of both surveys and from viewing the topography of the site whether the later ridge and furrow on the site has largely obliterated the enclosure or if it is preserved underneath these later earthworks.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F62) 162-4 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA JAS 85042 36-7 (29 August 1985).
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #43282 ]
- <4> SEM8397 Report: Carey, C.. 2014. Bradimoor, Exmoor: Combined earth resistance and gradiometer survey.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488454, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8091 3651 (57m by 41m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488454 (Pastscape entry: 1488454)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW127
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488454
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 9:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.