MMO3027 - a former pack-horse road or hollow-way (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The earthwork remains of a former pack-horse road or hollow-way road are visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, at Sellbed Cross, SS 82703781. The route is visible as a number of erosion hollows connecting the road from Newland in the north to Lanacre Lane in the south and is probably a precursor to the existing Sellbed Cross. The earthworks illustrate the evoloving nature of communications across Exmoor prior to the formalisation of the road network in the 19th century. (1-2)
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F62) 161-2 27-APR-1964.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3318-9 11-APR-1947.
- --- SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8271 3775 (155m by 159m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488449 (Pastscape entry: 1488449)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1488449
Record last edited
Feb 4 2019 4:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.