MMO3012 - Medieval or post-medieval packhorse roads north of Red Stone Gate (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Earthworks visible to the north of Red Stone Gate, at circa SS 8192 3937, may be the remains of packhorse routes of medieval or post-medieval date. Located on the crest of a major topographical feature, the earthworks may be evidence of a major communications route along the ridge from Winsford Hill in the southeast. The possible routes take the form of sinuous hollow ways between 2 to 5 metres wide, climbing Red Stone Hill to the west for over 400 metres. The main body of the earthworks are located immediately within the parish of Exmoor. Rat Combe to the north and the combe of a tributary to Pennycombe Water to the south may have created a pinch point on this ridge for traffic accessing the former Royal Forest, perhaps even a point where access was regulated. The earthworks appear to have been largely levelled by 1973. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4059-61 13-MAY-1946.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1055-6 29-APR-1973.
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32751 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488360, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8188 3938 (440m by 179m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488360 (Pastscape entry: 1488360)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW110
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488360
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 10:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.