MMO3008 - Post-medieval water meadow south of Lanacre (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A water meadow of probable post-medieval date can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s, as earthworks on the south facing valley slopes overlooking the River Barle to the south of Lanacre, centred on circa SS 8221 3623. It is probably of a type known as a catchwork, ditch gutter or field gutter system. Catchworks were designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream along the slope via a series of roughly parallel channels or gutters, although simple examples consisting of only a single gutter are common. When irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow from gutter to gutter, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of the March and April. The water-meadow can be seen in use on aerial photographs of 1947, and the gutters remain visible on aerial photographs of 1962. The gutters are not visible on later aerial photographs and may have been levelled by post war improvements. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4061-2 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32755 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488284, Extant 27 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8221 3620 (207m by 152m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488284 (Pastscape entry: 1488284)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW106
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488284
Record last edited
Aug 27 2021 10:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.