MMO2963 - Bronze Age Cairn on Horsen Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A low circular mound is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the southern edge of Sherdon, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7890 3536, the mound measures approximately 16 metres in diameter, and lies on the south facing slopes of Sherdon, overlooking the valley below. In size and form it resembles the Bronze Age barrows visible to the north on the summit of Sherdon (see MSO6799), and may be a previously unrecognised monument of similar date. However, it also lies close to an area of post-medieval peat cutting and may be related to this activity. Further survey is required. [1-2] The feature is not visible on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey mapping, therefore if it is indeed a post-medieval peat stand, it was disused by the publication date of 1889 or 1890.  A low, stony mound, 8 metres north to south, 7.5 metres east to west and up to 0.3 metres high lies on the south side of Sherdon Hill. Ridge and furrow ploughing runs across the mound. This is probably a Bronze Age platform cairn, comparable to EHF160006 on the summit of Horsen Hill.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 76068 003 (04 August 1976).
- <2>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #38954 ]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8302 Report: Riley, H.. 2016. Archaeological walkover survey: Horsen, Exmoor. 9.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487641, Extant 23 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7891 3536 (21m by 21m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487641 (Original Monarch entry: 1487641)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE166
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487641
Record last edited
Nov 23 2021 3:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.