MMO2930 - Post-medieval peat cutting on Horsen Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks covering an area of approximately 24 hectares on Horsen Hill, Exmoor. The earthworks are centred on SS 7926 3556 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 7 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 65 metres across. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. In places the peat cuttings are overlain by post-medieval field boundaries, suggesting that they predate the enclosure of the land around Horsen Hill. [1-3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  The remains of peat cutting cover an area 700m E/W by 150m N/S on the summit of Horsen Hill. The remains comprise numerous irregular and sub-rectangular hollows up to 0.5m deep. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4367-68 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 232-3.
- <3> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <5> SEM8302 Report: Riley, H.. 2016. Archaeological walkover survey: Horsen, Exmoor. 12.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7925 3558 (1264m by 542m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487423 (Original Monarch entry: 1487423)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE133
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1487423
Record last edited
Sep 11 2017 12:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.