MMO2950 - Post-medieval quarry on Halscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small circular depression is visible on aerial photographs on moorland nearly Halscombe, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7706 3835, the quarry measures some 19 metres across. It is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and annotated 'old quarry', suggesting it was abandoned prior to publication in 1890. It most likely dates to the post-medieval period, but there is no indication as to what was extracted here. [1-3] As part of the Exmoor Mires Project, South West Archaeology were contracted to undertake a non-intrustive walkover survey of the proposed mire restoration area on Deer Park. Noted was an adit entrance or other mining feature with high raised banks on either side of a linear trench orientated at 90 degrees to the slope. There are possibly two phases of realignment of the southern bank.  This site was included in a non-intrustive walkover survey of the proposed mire restoration area on Deer Park, undertaken by the Historic Environment Officer for the Exmoor Mires Project. It is thought likely to be a post-medieval adit.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3453-54 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #40657 ]
- <4> SEM8034 Report: Walls, S. and Morris, B.. 2012. Deer Park, Exmoor: Results of a walkover survey. 26, 42.
- <5> SEM8035 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2013. Archaeological walkover surveys on Deer Park, Exmoor. 10, 12, 16, 18, 26.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487590, Extant 23 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7707 3835 (33m by 38m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487590 (Original Monarch entry: 1487590)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument): EDP12(184)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE153
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487590
Record last edited
Nov 23 2021 2:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.