MMO2888 - Post-medieval drainage ditches north of Winstitchen Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An area of complex, interconnecting drainage ditches is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks north of Winstitchen Cross, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7820 3977 and covering an area of some 6 hectares, the system consists of a central, banked channel running north to south into a nearby stream. Several smaller ditches, some of which also have surrounding banks, connect with this channel at approximately 45 degree angles along its length. At the northern end of the system, a curvilinear ditch is visible extending westwards towards Ashcombe Bottom, where a similar system can be seen (MMO2339) but appears to end at the nearby hedgeline. The drainage system is cut in several places by post-medieval field boundaries, suggesting it predates the construction of these. As mentioned above, similar ditches can be seen to the northwest around Ashcombe Bottom, and it is possible that these ditches were part of the same system. However, the ditches do not seem to be connected in any way and this section has been recorded separately. The function of the ditches is not apparent, but they most likely date to the post-medieval period, and are probably associated with the Knight family's attempt at agricultural improvement in the area. [1-2]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4154-56 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <3> SEM8171 Report: Riley, H.. 2015. Metric Survey of Little Ashcombe, Simonsbath, Exmoor Mires Project EAC15.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7814 3979 (342m by 369m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1486600 (Original Monarch entry: 1486600)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE91
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1486600
Record last edited
Jun 14 2021 11:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.