MMO2339 - 19th Century drainage ditches southeast of Great Ashcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large number of interconnecting ditches or leats, presumably for drainage, are visible as earthworks in fields southeast of Great Ashcombe, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7780 4019, the ditches cover an area of approximately 19 hectares. They are mostly straight, running downslope in a north to south direction. Two of the ditches appear to follow the contours of the slope however, and these may be "headmains" or supply ditches. The other ditches all connect with these larger examples. Several of the ditches appear to be surrounded by low banks, fragmentary in places. The ditches appear to have been designed to channel water into Ashcombe Bottom and other unnamed streams in the area. They most likely date to the post-medieval period, and are possibly part of the Knight family's agricultural improvements in the area. Several of the larger leats are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, indicating they were constructed and in use prior to publication in 1889. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SF 1460 (SS 7740/2/140) (7 March 1979).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 104-05 (12 March 1995).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #43284 ]
- <5> SEM8171 Report: Riley, H.. 2015. Metric Survey of Little Ashcombe, Simonsbath, Exmoor Mires Project EAC15.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475732, Extant 14 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7777 4029 (586m by 727m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475732 (Pastscape entry: 1475732)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE188
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475732
Record last edited
Jun 14 2021 11:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.