MMO2874 - Medieval or post-medieval hollow way or field boundary at North Higher Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A linear negative earthwork is visible on aerial photographs to the north of North Higher Combe. Centred on circa 8691 3815. The feature is about 105 metres long and an average width of 8 metres. The feature may be the remains of a short hollow way which perhaps originally connected with the road to the south of North Higher Combe, and may potentially be of medieval date. Alternatively, the earthwork may simply be evidence of post-medieval field boundary removal. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  No features such as a routeway or field boundary are recorded here on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map or on the Exford Tithe Map. [4,5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 54/2821 (F63) 154-5 (27 April 1964).
- <2>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32638 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485337, Extant 21 September 2021.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8692 3816 (114m by 39m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485337 (Pastscape entry: 1485337)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE151
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485337
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 5:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.