MMO2873 - Medieval field system north of Codsend (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The low earthwork remains of strip fields, potentially of medieval origin, are visible on specialist oblique aerial photographs of 1999 to the north of Codsend at circa SS 8895 3999. At least 5 earthen strips or baulks up to 12 metres wide are visible, orientated roughly northwest to southeast, approximately following the contours of the hillside. Unfortunately these features are not visible on the vertical coverage available to the survey and due to limitations in the specialist aerial photograph coverage of this area, it was not possible to fully transcribe the features. They are therefore probably more extensive than currently recorded. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8840/4 (18242/20) (10 February 1999).
- <2>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #41668 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485325, Extant 26 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8896 4000 (189m by 167m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485325 (Original Monarch entry: 1485325)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE150
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485325
Record last edited
Jan 26 2022 3:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.