MMO2868 - Post-medieval road or hollow way northwest of Stetfold Rocks (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Two parallel linear earthwork banks, visible on aerial photographs to the northwest of Stetfold Rocks at circa SS 8711 3888, might be the remains of a road or hollow way of post-medieval date. The banks are between 3 and 5 metres wide, flanking a central route on average 4 metres wide. The possible route is visible for over 200 metres, from where it appears to meet the Exford road (B3224) to the northwest, to its southeast end where it appears to abut a pond. The feature is interpreted here as an historic road, most likely a continuation of the earlier course of the B3224 to the north, where it can be seen to dogleg on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, prior to the modern straightening of the road. It may have been an early approach road to Stetfold Rocks. An alternative if less probable interpretation use is as an approach to an early sheep dip, a precursor to the modern feature some 10 metres to the north. Sheep dips were invented in Scotland in the 1830s, and the practise may have been transferred to Exmoor soon after. The earthworks are not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and it is therefore probable that the route, whatever its destination, had passed out of use some time prior to 1890. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8738/6 (24928-13) (12 February 2008).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32788 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485274, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8712 3889 (191m by 162m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485274 (Pastscape entry: 1485274)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE145
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485274
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 5:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.