MMO2866 - Medieval and post-medieval field system at Stone Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Evidence for former strip fields and the remains of field boundaries and ridge and furrow of probable medieval and post-medieval date can be seen on aerial photographs as earthworks at Stone Farm, Exford parish. Ridge and furrow can be seen most clearly to the south of Stone, on either side of a short length of relict field boundary at circa SS 8655 3871. To the northwest of the farm at circa SS 8633 3884, the ridge and furrow continues, but is less easily distinguished from the almost completely levelled remains of former curved strip field boundaries, which echo the shape of the extant field walls. Post-medieval water meadow gutters are cut through the earthwork remains. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8638/1 (NMR 21110/23) (9 February 2001).
- <2>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #43366 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485258, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8645 3878 (481m by 315m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485258 (Original Monarch entry: 1485258)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE143
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485258
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 5:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.