MMO2865 - Post-medieval field boundary north of Exford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A relict field boundary of probable post-medieval date is visible as an earthwork bank on the north facing slopes to the north of Exford at circa SS 8572 3868. The boundary is circa 220 metres long and follows the slope in an east to west direction at an elevation of between 285 and 290 metres. The boundary is not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and therefore was probably removed prior to 1890. [1-4] Not shown on Exford Tithe Map and neither is the northwest to southeast boundary at its west. Both of these boundaries may therefore be of the second half of the 19th Century, with this boundary pre dating or post dating 1890.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 54/2821 (F63) 157-8 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1063-4 (29 April 1973).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <4>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32790 ]
- <5> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 973: Great Churchill.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485251, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8572 3867 (229m by 40m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485251 (Pastscape entry: 1485251)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE142
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485251
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 5:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.