MMO2858 - Post-medieval field boundary northeast of West Nethercote (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A relict field boundary of probable post-medieval date is visible as an earthwork bank on southwest facing slopes above the River Exe, to the northeast of West Nethercote, centred on circa SS 8692 3649. The boundary bank is visible for approximately 122 metres, defining the eastern boundary of a small square enclosure approximately half a hectare in area, the western side defined by extant field boundaries. The boundary is not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and therefore probably represents an episode of enclosure that failed or was abandoned prior to 1890. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  It is possible that this boundary relates to a square field shown on the Tithe Map for Winsford in this location. The field parcel reference is 199, which the Apportionment describes as "Hill Cleeve and Plot".  The field visible on the Tithe Map is not depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition map, suggesting it had been removed by this time. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 54/2821 (F62) 154-5 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32796 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485184, Extant 20 September 2021.
- <5> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8690 3649 (44m by 110m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485184 (Pastscape entry: 1485184)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE135
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485184
Record last edited
Sep 20 2021 10:18AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.