MMO2792 - Possible medieval or post-medieval field boundaries north of Sherracombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A pair of short linear banks are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs, located on former moorland north of Sherracombe Farm, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7163 3616, both banks run roughly east to west. The eastern bank, at SS 7163 3615 measures approximately 120 metres in length, while the western bank, at SS 7175 3619 measures 110 metres long. Despite their proximity to each other, and their similar alignments, there is no indication that the banks were connected. The banks are similar in size and form to the boundaries visible on the opposite side of the valley on Whitefield Down, as well as the boundaries immediately north of Sherracombe Farm, and may well be contemporaneous with them. Like the systems here, the banks are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890, suggesting they were abandoned prior to this date. However, since the two banks follow no discernible pattern, the precise nature of their relationship to other systems, if any, cannot be established from aerial photography alone. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3273-74 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #33155 Extent of earthwork, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7169 3618 (219m by 110m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484718 (Pastscape entry: 1484718)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW132
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484718
Record last edited
Aug 30 2020 11:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.