MMO2791 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundary north of Sherracombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A medieval or post-medieval field boundary forming the corner of an enclosure is visible on aerial photographs on former moorland north of Sherracombe, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7170 3601, the main section of the bank runs approximately north to south for 185 metres. At the southern end, the bank branches and a section runs east-west towards Sherracombe Wood, forming a corner with the main section. The banks are very similar to those seen on the opposite side of the valley on Whitefield Down (see MMO2785) which are believed to have been part of a medieval attempt to enclose the moorland. This bank and enclosure may have been laid out at the same time. However, since part of the boundary is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, it appears that this section remained in use for longer than the system on Whitefield Down. It was most likely abandoned shortly after the map was published in 1890. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3273-74 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #33156 Extent of field boundary, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7168 3603 (129m by 186m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484701 (Pastscape entry: 1484701)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW131
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484701
Record last edited
Aug 30 2020 11:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.