MMO2771 - 20th Century rig ploughing remains at Great Vintcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Traces of narrow rig ploughing are visible as levelled earthworks on aerial photographs within the large enclosure on Great Vintcombe, surrounding Acklands Farm, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7282 3971 the edges of the ploughed area follow the boundaries of the extant polygonal enclosure almost exactly, covering an area of some 19 hectares. Nearly all the ploughing appears to run north to south; however, in the western half of the enclosure, traces of the north to south ploughing appear to overlie traces running approximately northeast to southwest, indicating that there may have been two separate phases. According to Burton , Acklands was constructed in the late 19th or early 20th Century (after 1861). It is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map , suggesting it was built and the enclosures laid out after 1890. It is probable that the ploughing dates to this period. [1-4] The farmstead is also not shown on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was built after this was surveyed. It is, however, visible on aerial photographs dating from 1946-8 taken by the Royal Air Force. It therefore appears that the farmstead (and presumably this area of ploughing) dates to the early 20th Century. [5-7]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96507 25-26 (30 March 1996).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 87.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <4>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #33169 ]
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 8 January 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7286 3961 (554m by 698m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484481 (Pastscape entry: 1484481)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW111
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484481
Record last edited
Aug 31 2020 10:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.