MMO2748 - Post-medieval quarry on Five Barrows Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A small irregular quarry, most likely dating to the post-medieval period, is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs on Five Barrows Hill, North Molton. Centred at SS 7343 3673, the irregularly shaped quarry measures some 60 metres long and up to 20 metres wide. It is depicted but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting it was abandoned prior to this date. There is no indication as to what material was extracted here; however, it may have been opened in an attempt to extend operations from Five Barrows Quarry to the south (see MMO2746). [1,2]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4053-54 (19 May 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #42344 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7343 3673 (48m by 62m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484296 (Pastscape entry: 1484296)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW88
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484296
Record last edited
Sep 2 2020 10:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.