MMO2746 - Five Barrows Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
"Five Barrows Quarry is marked on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map and the six inch 1962 map. [1,2] A site visit undertaken in 2001 by Horner, Knight and Dean noted that this may be an iron extraction site akin to Roman Lode, sited 2 kilometres to the northeast.  A linear quarry or openwork is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork at the southwestern corner of Five Barrows Hill, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7357 3645, the trench runs approximately east to west and measures 190 metres long and up to 15 metres wide. It is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, and annotated "Five Barrows Quarry" indicating that it was still in use at this time, although there is no indication as to what material was being extracted here. It was most likely abandoned early in the 20th Century. [4-6]
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Site visit, B Horner, 20 April 2001.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4053-54 (19 May 1947).
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <6> SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7359 3644 (208m by 63m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484287 (Pastscape entry: 1484287)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 57801
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/598
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20665
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW86
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484287
Record last edited
Mar 27 2017 12:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.