MMO2739 - Possible medieval or post-medieval routeways across Western Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Irregular linear depressions forming old trackways running south towards MDE20446 were noted on aerial photographs. [1-3] A series of earthworks are visible on aerial photographs on the north edge of Western Common, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7281 3695, three parallel shallow sunken trackways are visible running approximately north to south. At the northern end they turn sharply to the west before fading from view. In several places the tracks are cut by post-medieval field boundaries. No trackway is shown at this location on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting it was abadoned prior to this date. The tracks closely resemble the packhorse tracks and routeways across the moor, such as the medieval Dunster road visible less than 1 kilometre to the south. It is possible that these earthworks represent a previously unknown routeway, skirting the edge of the former Royal Forest. [4-6] There are no routeways shown in this location across the common on the Tithe Map for North Molton. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4443 (April 1977).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/099 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7236A.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 13-14 (7 May 1996).
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <6>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #43664 ]
- <7> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land Parcel 417.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7281 3682 (214m by 716m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484235 (Pastscape entry: 1484235)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17852
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/557
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20466
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW79
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484235
Record last edited
Sep 2 2020 1:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.