MMO2739 - Possible medieval or post-medieval routeways across Western Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A series of earthworks are visible on aerial photographs on the north edge of Western Common, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7281 3695, three parallel shallow sunken trackways are visible running approximately north-south. At the northern end they turn sharply to the west before fading from view. In several places the tracks are cut by post medieval field boundaries. No trackway is shown at this location on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting it was abadoned prior to this date. The tracks closely resemble the packhorse tracks and routeways across the moor, such as the medieval Dunster road visible less than 1km to the south. It is possible that these earthworks represent a previously unknown routeway, skirting the edge of the former Royal Forest (1-2). This may be the same site as MDE20466, but it is not possible to determine this from the record alone. 
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 13-14 07-MAY-1996.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1889.
- --- SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. S Thorogood, 12 November 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7281 3682 (214m by 716m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484235 (Pastscape entry: 1484235)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17852
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW79
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484235
Record last edited
Apr 30 2018 9:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.